Monday, July 09, 2007

In Praise of Silverfish

As an award-winning winner of the fantastically pretigious Bloggo award, I recognize my duty to you, the morose, lonely blog reader. I take very seriously my "job" as a blogger, with daily updates, the very best in entertainment and information. As a rule, I shy away from blogging about comics that are not my own. In my opinion, there is nothing more pathetic than some whiny sad, sack fanboy kvetching about their weekly haul. It's even more pathetic if that poor dork is a fan of DC. And while paying compliments to DC, particularly Vertigo, causes me literal physical pain, today I must endure a few painful kidney spasms for a shout out for David Lapham's new book Silverfish.


David Lapham's STRAY BULLETS series is my favorite Favorite FAVORITE comic, and when a new Stray Bullets comes out, it's always an occasion to celebrate. In this case, Silverfish is a self-contained crime story which might as well be a Stray Bullets story (sorta like his other non-Stray Bullets graphic novel, Murder Me Dead.) I just figure Lapham is trying to get a better paycheck than he gets from his self-published stuff, plus going through Vertigo is a good way to reach a wider audience, which Stray Bullets totally deserves.

Is a good story, lots of tense moments, sorta History of Violence through the twisted Lapham lens. I was literally on the edge of my seat throughout the story, and there's not a lot of comics or comic creators that can have that affect on me.

Anyway, I totally recommend this, just like I recommend each and every issue of Stray Bullets. So I'm breaking my rule about pimping other peoples comics. This is good stuff. Buy it today.



We know return to our regular (Bloggo Award Winning!!!) programming.

No comments: