Friday, September 16, 2005

The perils of EBaying when you are hammered



Oh, crap. How embarrassing.

Recently my brilliant and beautiful young protoge CB Cebulski, who normally blogs on such fascinating subjects as booze and his cats, blogged on the dangers of "drunk dialing." That is, getting hammered and calling up old friends you haven't talked to in ages. Fortunatley, I think my days of drunk dialing are in the past. Most of the people I communicate with I do by IM and Email, and I've got about a literal handful of friends from my youth I still keep in periodic contact with. The truth is, most people, when they get to be my advanced age, are married or with kids and are boring and insipid as all hell. The very last thing I ever need to hear is how you are the first person to ever discover the miracle of childbirth, and how your little brat completes you in a way that you never though possible. If I ever become that person, promise me --PROMISE ME-- you'll put a hollow-point to the back of my head.

Anyway, getting back on the subject, there is clearly a much more insidious danger than "drunk dialing." It's drunk ebaying. The other night I came home from a festive evening of enjoying refreshing spirits with my ol' pal Superfrankenstein. On a whim, I started looking around ebay, and I found a little rarity I thought would be a bit pricey at $10, but still I was buzzed enough to bid.

Of course, being a drunk ass I did not really READ the ebay description, so I didn't realize I was spending 10 or so POUNDS instead of dollars. So I ended up paying double. Worse, the bidder... IN ENGLAND... does not accept Paypal, so I have to go through all this shit to get him my money, and it's gonna take an eternity to get what I bid on.

Man, do I feel like I dumbass. And the worst part of it, in retrospect, was what I actually won.

Please by kind in your responses.

Poor old Layman!

6 comments:

N. J. Pozner said...

That is the funniest thing I've seen today. Thanks for the laugh, John!

David Baron: said...

$20 on a Lego chocolate rabbit...

Stang said...

It takes a really admirable person to admit what you did.

But not to buy what you bought.

So I'm confused.

Anonymous said...

That, my friend, was twenty dollars well spent.

Anonymous said...

That's hilarious - although I have a hard time imagining that you'd even spend $10 on this.

What the heck do you plan on doing with that? Do you have a Candyland Lego set?

Anonymous said...

Speaking of old friends from the past. . . . ahem. . . .