You know, it's one thing when 87-year-old actor Ossie Davis passes away or late-80-something comic creator Will Eisner. Both had long, full lives, and while we regret their passing, we can't exactly say "he was taken from us too soon." What's sadder is when somebody is cut down in their prime, especially when that somebody is vibrant and brimming over with health, enthusiasm, generousity, life and love.
ERIC DESANTIS: 1976-2005
The flame the burns so bright, alas, burns so brief.
I knew Eric back in my days with Wildstorm, back in the salad days before DC bought the company. Eric was yet another Wildstorm editor that was a TERRIBLE speller (I'm another one, but I'm dyslexic, so I have an excuse.) Eric loved comics, he was kind to children and small animals, and always had a kind word on the tip of his tongue and a smile on his face. And the only thing on earth that Eric hated was racism, injustice, and apples.
Yes, if you knew Eric, surely you know that the only thing on Earth he both reviled and feared were apples. Fresh apples intimidated him, cowed him, and enraged him. In my callous youth I would leave a fresh apple on his desk, not expecting the TERRIFIED reaction would have against this "forbidden fruit." He was okay with apple pie, strangly enough. He considered apples that were cooked and cut to be "tamed." But a single fresh apple was just about the worst thing that Eric could concieve. Green Granny Smith apples were more abhorrant to him than red apples, too.
Anyway, we hope to have more details about Eric's mysterious and ironic passing as it becomes available. If you happen to be witness to the tragedy that occurred, if you got the license number of that truck, PLEASE call and make a report. Eric's family and many, many loved ones would appreciate it.
- ► 2009 (20)
- ► 2008 (29)
- ► 2007 (104)
- ► 2006 (144)
- The Flea Amigos
- My one-word review of Constantine
- Holy crapoli! Check this shizz out!
- OUTRAGES COMPOUND: VATICAN IGNORES LAYMAN APPEAL
- HUGE NEWS: LAYMAN CALLS ON POPE TO STEP DOWN, URGE...
- The one true path to love and happiness
- Angels asleep
- More Vitriol for Kiera Knightly
- My valentine for you (late)
- Layman movie commentary review: PIRATES OF THE CAR...
- RIP Hunter S. Thompson RIP Raoul Duke
- Holy fucking shit: So long, Hunter
- Correction: Turns out Eric DeSantis is not actuall...
- Layman comic pimpage: Small Gods Killing Grin
- a sneek peak at Gambit #10: Coming in April... or ...
- Layman movie review: BULLY
- I haven't been able to blog 'cause I'm so sad abou...
- RIP ERIC DESANTIS:RETURNED TO THE SWEET EMBRACE OF...
- STOP THE PRESSES: BATTY IS BETTER!!!
- A couple Gambit #7 reviews
- I LOVE YOU, I MISSED YOU, I'M SORRY ABOUT THE THIN...
- HEALTH UPDATE: BATTY IS STILL SICK
- Gaze, Ye, Upon the True Visage of Ultimate Evil
- COOL: Our first celebrity endorsement
- GET WELL SOON BATTY
- On sale today: GAMBIT #7
- The Erotic Layman
- When Animals Attack
- Layman invades CBR
- This is where I'm at today (again)
- This is where I'm at today
- The sad return of sad sad sad
- Finally!... Proof Positive that JOHN LAYMAN is the...
- Politics made simple
- John Layman; Erotic pioneer of the alcoholic front...
- ▼ February (36)